Sunday 30 June 2013

Singapore

Singapore was exactly what I was hoping for. A massive monument of infrastructure that retains a lot of culture. I just wish it wasn't so hot. If I don't have a breeze I am sweating.

One of the first neat things I noticed was how the metro station interchanges are set up. They put the two different train lines on the same platform so most exchanges you simply walk to the other side. Instead of having one line with 2 directions on one platform, and being forced to go through a maze of escalators to get to the other line (cough, china). They also have stations for lines that haven't even been opened, since they are planning years in advance.

Otherwise Singapore is a mix of Chinese, Malay, Indian, and western culture. It has 4 official languages and feels very multicultural based on the people around me in any part of the city. I met up with the same Singaporean guys I met in taroko gorge, Taiwan, and they showed me around a bunch. Their main complaint about Singapore is the government, and how controlling they are. For example, to buy a $30000 Honda accord or whatever, you need to pay a $70000 license to own the car that is only good for 10 years, so your mid level car costs you $100,000. Anyway, onto pictures:

One of the temples in little India, very neat and they had some sort of event going on inside with drumming and Indian instruments(I know nothing of Indian or Muslim culture so I can't say more) 


In front of marina bay sands they have a giant whirlpool that drains into a fountain in the mall below! Cool! And I could have easily jumped in.


Behind marina bay sands is the gardens by the bay, which consists of these tree like things that are supposed to be environmentally sustainable. I kinda skimmed the information signs, something about solar power and recycling.


Of course the famous hotel and the DNA helix bridge next to it. It was $20 to go up and see the pool on top so I didn't bother (SIN$1.20 = CAD$1)


And of course the famous Merlion and the city skyline in the background.

No comments:

Post a Comment