Sunday 30 June 2013

Johor Bahru, Melaka, Kuala Lumpur‏

I stayed 1 night in Johor Bahru (JB), did a day trip to Melaka, and spent 2 nights in Kuala Lumpur (KL). So far I am liking Malaysia more than I thought I would, the people, the food, the overall feeling is wonderful. I probably should have split this into 2 updates

image.jpeg
At my couchsurfing host's place in JB we made zongzi, which is sticky rice with some meat and nuts all wrapped in a banana leaf. It's normally eaten during the dragon boat festival which just happened.

We also went to malaka for the day, it used to be a Dutch colony so there is lots of red architecture and churches.

image.jpeg
Afterwards I took an overnight bus to Kuala Lumpur. Despite not fitting lengthwise it was quite comfortable.

I really like the public transit in KL. this line is driverless, so there is a big window at the front that I stared out the whole time. And I get views like this! KL also has a monorail.


image.jpeg
The first place I went was the batu caves. It's a massive cave in a small limestone mountain. 246 steps to the top and food thieving monkeys.

image.jpeg
A very big cave, a great place to sit and think and listen to bats.

image.jpeg
I think everyone will recognize the petronas twin towers. The tallest twin towers in the world.

image.jpeg
Naturally I did the night time tour. This is the view looking down from the sky bridge.

image.jpeg
Night view. I would have taken it from the same spot but I was too tired from walking all day.

Overall I liked KL a lot more than I expected. People have been very friendly (if you smile they smile back!), the food has been fantastic as a mix of Malay, Indian, and Chinese. And the city has so much to see by just wandering around. It's one place I definitely want to return to in the future. Oh and I made friends with the hostel owners 4 year old daughter Zsa Zsa (sounds like jah jah)

image.jpeg

No comments:

Post a Comment